Can you ever have too many shades of lipsticks? We sure don’t think so! In fact, we had so much trouble picking a favourite hue that we decided to fill our December ‘Merry Metallics’ GLOSSYBOX with a range of gorgeous creamy mattes, shiny semi-mattes and glossy lip stains in a variety of colours courtesy of L.O.V Cosmetics. Here’s how to pull off your shade…
Note: For all of the below tutorials, let’s assume that you’ve already applied a base (foundation, concealer, you know what I mean) or are going bare-faced.
How To Pull Off Red Lipstick
While some lipstick shades come and go with the ever-changing trends of the beauty world, red is one of those colours that will never be replaced.
Classic and elegant, a red lip adds a pop of colour to any outfit. Mostly, though, it perfectly complements an LBD.
Going overboard with colour when you’re flaunting a red lipstick is a massive faux pas. To avoid any mishaps, here’s the best way to wear red lipstick:
- Shape your brows: Trust me, a well-groomed brow will frame your face and balance out your bold lip. Use a spoolie to comb and shape your brows, then fill them in using a brow pencil or gel.
- Draw on a winged eye: It’s a classic. From Taylor Swift to Adele, flaunting a red lip with a winged eye is a staple in the beauty world. Apply liner along your lash line, working from the outer corner of your eyes inwards, then extend the liner past the outer corner and create a pointed end.
- Apply your lipstick: Start by lining your lips (either with a lip pencil or a makeup brush) then fill them in. It’s a foolproof look!
How To Enhance Your Look With A Nude Lippy
Personally, I’d opt for a lipstick over any other makeup product any day. Of course, I realise that many of you might favour eyeshadow. If you swear by your smokey eye, then you should use a pinky nude lippy to enhance your look.
A nude lipstick with pink undertones acts as the glue that brings your whole makeup look together.
The great thing about a nude lip is that you can wear it with pretty much any makeup. Whether you just want to flaunt a casual no-makeup makeup look or you’re applying the perfect finishing touch to your multi-layered look, a pinky-nude always has you covered!
- Your smokey eye’s BFF: Start by applying a full face of makeup. We’re talking foundation, concealer, blush, bronzer, highlighter and a gorgeous smokey. Then, to top off the look, apply your lipstick.
How To Pull Off Purple Lipstick
Some of you will have been treated to a purple-toned lipstick or lip stain. While purple can seem a little intimidating, rest assured that this gorgeous hue is actually the perfect colour for every skin tone.
Did you know that purple is on the border between warm and cool-toned, meaning that it flatters all skin tones?
If you’re going to flaunt a purple lipstick, then you need to think of it as an accessory. The same way those statement earrings or that big-buckled belt do all the talking for your outfit, a purple lipstick is the centre-piece of your makeup. Here’s how to pull off the look:
- To tie the look together: Apply a plum-coloured blush to the apples of your cheeks and a few strokes of mascara to your lashes OR a plum-coloured eyeliner to your waterline, then add a few lashings of mascara.
- Keep it clean: If that sounds a little too bold for you, keep the rest of your makeup very neutral. We’re talking well-defined brows, then a touch of mascara and highlighter. That’s it. Remember, you want your lipstick to stand out.
How To Embrace The Brown Lippy Trend
A throwback to the nineties, brown lipsticks have made a comeback. As they boast earthy tones, they warm up your complexion, assuming you complement them with the right hues.
Nothing counterbalances cold winter days like a warm makeup look. That’s where your brown lippy comes in.
Here’s how to make the most of your brown lippy:
- A warming eye look: Pair your lipstick with a caramel-toned eyeshadow look which is accentuated by a brown eyeliner (one shade darker than your lipstick) and a few lashings of (brown) mascara.
- A natural, bronzed glow: Give your complexion a glowy or rosy radiance by applying a soft pink blush or a shimmery brown contour to your cheekbones.
- You’re ready to flaunt your brown lippy!
About Your L.O.V. Cosmetics Lipstick
Whether you received their THE FATEFUL lacquered lip stain, LIPaffair color & care lipstick matte, or LIPaffair color & care lipstick (semi-matte), you can be sure that your lippy will deliver some seriously long-lasting colour.