If you haven’t seen the newly-released film On The Basis Of Sex, you really need to! Recounting the empowering story of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, here are five reasons why it’s a must-watch.
1. Ruth Bader Ginsburg Is One Inspiring Woman
Born into a low-income, working-class family, she overcame both sexism and prejudice to become one of the most celebrated legal figures of the Twentieth Century. Throughout her career as a lawyer and Supreme Court Justice, she has helped overturn discriminatory laws against women.
Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a symbol of justice, resistance and hope
2. On The Basis Of Sex Is All About Female Empowerment
In a nutshell, On The Basis Of Sex is the story of a woman combating gender discrimination. The film mostly focuses on a landmark case in which Ruth and her husband prove that a tax law about caregivers’ allowances discriminated against men on the basis of sex.
Having proven that laws discriminate based on sex, this case then paved the way for Ginsburg to overturn laws that discriminated against women on this same basis. She spent her career fighting for women’s rights and female empowerment.
3. You’ll Discover Some Of Ginsburg’s Amazing Achievements
The film can’t possibly cover all of the incredible things Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s has done in her career, but it gives you some really interesting insight.
Just for a little context, Ginsburg:
- Spent her life advocating the fair treatment of women.
- Was director of the ACLU Women’s Rights Project.
- Was the second woman to be appointed to the American Supreme Court.
- Was one of only 8 women in a class of 500 to attend Harvard Law School.
- Balanced being a law student with being a mum.
- Became the first female member of the prestigious Harvard Law Review.
- Graduated first of her class.
- Clerked for a U.S. District judge for 2 years.
- Was the first female tenured professor at Columbia.
- Won the American Bar Association’s Thurgood Marshall Award for her contributions to gender equality and civil rights.
4. The Film Will Inspire You
If you’re looking for an inspiring film to watch this weekend, look no further. Ruth Bader Ginsburg journey is certainly an empowering one. Though the film doesn’t capture quite how extraordinary her life and career has been (you just need to read the list at the start to realise that), it’s still worth a watch. I came out of the cinema feeling proud to be a woman, and inspired to be part of a greater change for a more gender-balanced world.
5. The Ending Is A Reminder Of How Much Women Can Achieve
The most powerful moment of the film is *spoiler alert* the very end. In the closing scene, just after Ginsburg has won her first gender-discrimination case, we watch Ginsburg confidently walk up the steps of the Supreme Court, while an audio of the real-life Ginsburg plays in the background.
From behind a pillar, the now 85-year-old real-life Ginsburg then appears and walks up the same steps. The scene embodies Ginsburg’s progress from a budding lawyer to a Justice of the Supreme Court. The screen then fades to black, and the audience is left to dream of all the things they could achieve if they put their mind to it…
Join The GLOSSYBOX Family
We’ve now sold out of our March box, but you can still be part of the Glossy Family! Subscribe now to pre-order your April ‘Fruity or Floral’ edition. Featuring two special design boxes bursting with fruity fragrances and flowery formulas, it’s not to be missed!