Discovered your very own gua sha in your February box, but you’re not sure how to use it? We’re here to help. From what it is to how to use it for the best benefits, we’ve found out everything you need to know…
What Is A Gua Sha?
Although a gua sha is now a trendy facial massage tool, it actually comes with a lot of history. Originally an ancient Chinese healing technique, a gua sha is a natural, alternative therapy that involves scraping the skin with a small tool.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Gua Sha?
This unique approach to better health comes with many benefits. These include:
- Improved circulation
- Reduced inflammation and lymphatic drainage
- Released tension in the face and neck
- Improved appearance of fine lines and dark circles
How To Use A Gua Sha
Whilst they might look like a scary or confusing skincare tool, a gua sha is actually pretty simple to use. And as well as the face, it can also be used on the body and scalp, however ensure you’re not using it on bare skin. It’s best to use with water or an oil to ensure your skin is protected!
Once you’ve moistened your skin, simply follow the below steps:
- Hold your gua sha with the curved side to your face. Gently glide it gently up and out, starting with the neck. Make sure you’re stroking down the neck, never upwards, to drain fluid.
- Next move onto your jawline, chin and around the mouth, stroking the skin between three and five times per area. Always take short strokes in just one direction, not back and forth. If you want to reduce puffiness, work lightly, then more firmly, to relax muscles.
- Pressing the tool flat to the skin, next delicately stroke under the eyes or over any redness, to soothe and de-puff.
- Finally, work the tool in small horizontal strokes over the brow bone to lift, or hold and press upwards between the brows to release tension.
How A Gua Sha Helps Different Areas Of Your Face
Neck – Gentle downward strokes increase circulation, lift and tone skin.
Jawline, cheeks and chin – Strokes from the inside of your face out lift your complexion whilst firming up your skin.
Nose – Delicate short strokes relieve puffiness.
Eyes – Strokes under the eyes reduce lines and dark circles, whilst also soothing, de-puffing and reducing redness.
Forehead – Horizontal strokes over the brow bone to smooth wrinkles, lift skin and release tension.
When Should I Use A Gua Sha?
To see real results, we’d suggest you use your gua sha around 2 to 3 times a week. But what time of day really depends on the type of results you’re after. In the morning a gua sha will treat puffiness whilst energizing the skin. Whilst you’ll more likely be working to relax the muscles in the face and release tight connective tissue in the face at night.
What Is The Difference Between A Gua Sha And A Jade Roller?
While both a gua sha and a roller will aid in lymphatic drainage, a gua sha targets the fibrous tissue in the face to release tension as well as lift and firm the skin. The shape of the gua sha is perfectly designed for ‘sculpting’ the muscles in the face, by creating pressure and stretching muscles simultaneously.
How Quickly Will I See Results With A Gua Sha?
In regards to relieving puffiness and tension, you’ll see results almost straight away. However, we recommend you use your gua sha a couple of times a week to see the other benefits this tool can bring. After a few weeks of regular use, a more lifted and toned complexion will begin to appear!
Subscribe To GLOSSYBOX
For the opportunity to try out five new beauty products every month, sign up to GLOSSYBOX today. As a Glossy, you’ll not only receive these products straight to your door, but you’ll also get exclusive discounts on our Limited Edition boxes and the GLOSSYBOX Skincare range. You’ll also get the chance to earn Glossy Credit that you can spend on your favourite brands on lookfantastic.com!