We’ve all been finding small ways to cope whilst being in lockdown. Staying both mentally and physically active is essential, but it’s also important to give yourself some downtime too. That’s why I decided to subscribe to Disney+.
From old childhood favourites to modern classics, Disney+ offers a fantastic array of films and tv shows that will keep you entertained for hours on end. Honestly, I can’t recommend it enough (and it’s only £5.99 a month!). Here are just some of the great things you can watch on this new streaming service.
Revisit The Old Classics
In the mood for a throwback? Revisit some of your most beloved Disney films. The original Bambi, Snow White, and Dumbo (to name but a few) are all available. My favourites, though, have to be:
- Pinocchio: This has to be one of my favourite classic Disney films! Heartwarming and charming, it tells the story of a live puppet who must prove himself to be truthful, brave and selfless to become a real boy. You just can’t go wrong!
- Peter Pan: Another great choice, I’ll never get tired of traveling to Neverland with Peter Pan, Wendy and her brothers. Give this old classic a watch, and I can assure you that you won’t be disappointed.
- The Jungle Book: The last film that Walt Disney ever produced, this classic follows the story of a human boy, Mowgli, and his friends Bagheera the Panther and Baloo the Bear who try to convince him to leave the jungle for human civilisation. Full of loveable characters and fantastic songs, it provides much more than the bare necessities.
Watch The Live-Action Versions
Over the past five years or so, Disney have been re-releasing their classic films as live actions. Whilst we await the launch of Mulan (which, you have to admit, is a fantastic film), here are just some of the ones you can watch on Disney+.
- Beauty and the Beast: Starring Emma Watson, you can’t help but fall in love with this modern adaptation of a classic love story. It captures the magic and enchantment of the original film and brings your childhood fantasies to life.
- The Lion King: Ask anyone to name their top three favourite Disney films and almost everyone will include The Lion King on that list. I was skeptical about watching the remake in fear that it would ruin the classic film, but it was a triumph. If you haven’t seen it yet, I’d highly recommend watching it – and if you have, then it’s definitely worth a second viewing.
- Dumbo: Tim Burton’s darker twist on this classic tale goes well beyond the original storyline. It offers a modern message of acceptance by celebrating differences and proving that dreams really do come true if you just believe in yourself. Plus, Dumbo is a really sweet character and you’ll find yourself cheering for his success. Trust me, it’s worth the watch.
Explore Some Modern Classics
I can’t deny it, Glossies, I am a huge fan of animated films. Toy Story, Inside Out, Shrek, Flushed Away, they’re all still my go-tos when I need cheering up. Luckily, Disney+ offers an array of animated films that are just as entertaining.
- Zootroplis: This is undeniably one of the best films on Disney+. In a new, civilised animal world where predators and prey live in harmony, rabbit Judy Hopps dreams of becoming a police officer. After passing her exams, she moves to the big city where she ends up investigating the disappearance of 14 predators with the help of fox Nick Wilde. Together, they uncover a conspiracy that is much larger than they could ever have imagined.
- Moana: I loved this one too! Set in ancient Polynesia, it follows the tale of a young girl named Moana who sets off to find the Demigod Maui and free her island from a terrible curse. Featuring a strong female lead and fantastic music, it’s a must-see.
- Up: Now I know this wasn’t released all that recently, but it’s still one of my favourites. At the age of 78, Carl decides to fulfill his childhood dreams of travelling to South America and finding the forbidden Paradise Falls. Using thousands of balloons to lift up his house, he and boy scout Russell set off on an adventure.
Of course, there are endless great films to watch. Revisit High School Music and swoon over Zac Efron, binge-watch every Disney princess film and relive your most cherished childhood moments, or catch up on any of the new releases you haven’t seen yet. The possibilities are endless! You won’t regret it.
Subscribe To GLOSSYBOX
Subscribe to GLOSSYBOX to get five beauty products delivered straight to your door every month. It’s the ideal way of trying the latest makeup, skincare and haircare trends without breaking the bank. Join us now from just £8.50 a month!