Berry or orange-based, matte or sheer, a swipe of rouge across your lips can dress up the most pared-back of aesthetics or instantly update your look. You just need to find the best red lipstick shade for you.
One thing’s for sure, once you’ve found your signature red, you won’t go back. ‘The red that suits you is the one that makes your teeth whiter and your skin glow,’ explains MAC’s head of make-up artistry Terry Barber.
We’ve tried and tested some of the most coveted lipsticks on the market in search of a complimentary colour for every skin tone.
1. (Left) Revlon London Colourstay Moisture Stain in Shanghai Sizzle, £7.99 at Superdrug
(Right) Rimmel London Lasting Finish Matte Lipstick by Kate in 30, £5.49 at Feel Unique
2. (Left) L’Oreal Paris Color Riche Lipstick in Julianne’s Pure Red, £6.99 at Boots
(Right) Butter London Moisture Matte Lipstick in Old Blighty, £18 at Butter London
3. (Left) Burberry Lip Colour in Oxblood, £23 at Boots
(Right) Suqqu Creamy Glow Lipstick in EX-15, £27 at Selfridges
4. (Left) Laura Mercier Lip Colour in Moi, £20 at House of Fraser
(Right) Topshop Lip Polish in Twin, £8 at Feel Unique
5. (Left) Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in Grand Cru, £8.99 at Boots
(Right) Lipstick Queen Silver Screen in Have Paris, £35 at SpaceNK
6. (Left) Dior Rouge Dior Baume in Nuit Rose, £26 at John Lewis
(Right) MAC Lustre Lipstick in Ladybug, £15.50 at MAC Cosmetics
Which is your favourite? Let us know in the comments below…